West Avenue Associates LLC
Senior Consulting Associate (2013-2019): Member of a comprehensive consulting group providing capacity building and advancing philanthropy for nonprofit organizations through strategic assessment and planning, fund raising and campaign counsel, and governance development.
Virginia War Memorial
Memorial Assistant Director (2012- 2013): Assisted the director with all functions of the Memorial, a Commonwealth of Virginia agency.
Foundation Executive Director (2005 to 2012): Managed business development, fundraising for the operations, and program development for the Virginia War Memorial, a state agency. Successfully completed a $10.5 million capital campaign to construct an 18,000 square foot Education Center, in addition to increasing the annual operating budget tenfold with an additional $1.8 million raised. Additionally managed completion the VWM’s first ever strategic plan producing a comprehensive plan for governance, management, marketing, and programs.
American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar
Chief Development Officer (2002-2004): Created and managed a comprehensive fundraising program for this start-up museum, raising $15.25 million, exceeding the goal.
- Provided guidance and support to all staff and volunteers in fund raising activities at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Developed the national and local prospect pool and implemented the systems to manage the cultivation, solicitation, and administration of these prospects.
- Served on the management team guiding organizational operations.
Additional Nonprofit Consulting Experience: Six years as an owner of a consulting firm helping Owner and consultant assisting nonprofit organizations with multiple funding needs. In addition to planning and executing specific fundraising campaigns, ranging from several thousand to several million dollars, services include ed strategic planning, board development, and financial planning. Fund raising efforts helped clients, consisting of schools, museums, religious organizations, and human service agencies, raise approximately $6 million in unrestricted and capital donations.
Commercial Banking Experience: Over ten years in commercial banking beginning with Dominion Bank (now Wells Fargo Bank), a $12 billion bank holding company, progressing to Vice President with Regency Bank (now BB&T Bank), a Richmond community Bank and First Virginia Bank – Colonial (now BB&T), a $11 billion holding company, developing new business and servicing multimillion-dollar loan portfolios.
US Army 1985 – 1989: Served as a commissioned officer in the United States Army as an AH-1 Cobra pilot, attack helicopter platoon leader, and as division air officer in the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). Awarded the Army Achievement Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal. Honorably discharged as a Captain
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia (Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Nonprofit Management), 2002
- United Sates Army Initial Entry Rotary Wing Course, Ft. Rucker, Alabama, 1985
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, Virginia (Bachelor of Arts, History)
- Longwood College, Farmville, Virginia (Reserve Officer Training Course, Commissioned a Second Lieutenant)
Professional Associations and Community Involvement
- Virginia Association of Fundraising Executives, Richmond – Current, Board of Directors and Treasurer
- Save The Diamond Committee, Richmond – 2013 – 2015, Chairman.
- Stuart Hall School, Staunton – 2003 – 2009, Board of Governors, four years as Vice-Chairman
- Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia, Richmond – 2003 – 2007, Board of Trustees
- Emergency Shelter, Inc. (Now HomeAgain), Richmond – 1994 – 2000, Board of Directors
- James’s Episcopal Church, Richmond – 1993 – 1996, Vestry Member, Senior Warden
- The Commonwealth Club
- American Legion
- Sons of the Revolution