As a seasoned professional, David quickly assesses a client’s unique issues, often through forensics, and works closely with senior management and staff members to develop effective, tailored solutions. Among his specialties are budgeting, forecasting, cost accounting, inventory management, variance and margin analysis, custom systems design, derivative effectiveness/documentation, financial reporting, and special projects.
A graduate of the University of Virginia’s prestigious McIntire School of Commerce, David’s professional career began with Ernst & Young (formerly Ernst & Whinney), a Big 4 accounting firm. He spent two years on the auditing staff and five with Management Consulting Services before joining a commercial real estate firm as Controller. He went on to form his own real estate development firm specializing in limited-partner syndications. Among his projects were the Warsaw luxury condominiums and the Bookbindery office building.
Later, using aluminum radiant barriers to control temperatures, David founded and became the CEO of a manufacturing business specializing in thermal packaging and medical devices. In 1993, he gained national attention when the US Army used his firm’s containers to ship ice cream to troops in Somalia for the Fourth of July. Due to his success, he was inducted into the NASA Space Foundation Hall of Fame. More recently, he has operated as Chief Financial Officer (multiple entities) and Division Controller for a $ 1.3 billion regional co-operative.
As a financial consultant, David has designed and created innovative cost reporting formats and inventory control systems – several of which are “one-of-a-kind.” Among the accounting systems he has experience with are:
- JD Edwards, Microsoft Office
- Quickbooks, Leading Edge
- Alere and Proprietary Systems
David’s list of consulting clients range from privately held companies to Fortune 500 corporations. Among them are Design Tech Exhibits, Kika Enterprises, Southern States Cooperative, Sara Lee, Smithfield Foods, and Capital One Financial. David also assisted the City Attorney’s office of City of Richmond as an expert witness in financial analysis and documentation.
- Former Chairman, Designations Committee of Real Estate Securities and Syndication Institute.
- Former Virginia Chapter President, Real Estate Securities and Syndication Institute.
- Former Member, Board of Governors, Real Estate Securities and Syndication Institute.
- Inducted into NASA’s Space Foundation Hall of Fame, 1996.
- Featured program leader (as author) for the Osher Institute, University of Richmond.
- BS Accounting & Business Management, McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia
- Real Estate and General Law, University of Richmond
- A former CPA- Virginia
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, Virginia